Let’s recap some highlights while we all wait for 10AM PT for the other shoe to drop on Palm.
- Palm releases the Pre at CES in January ’09. No one buys either a Sprint phone or a Palm device for 6 months. Not that’s good for revenue.
- Palm has a rumored 6 month exclusive distribution agreement with Sprint. Then, supposedly, Verizon and AT&T get into the mix. So, current, under-contract Verizon and AT&T customers that might even want the Pre won’t switch because it is coming in 6 months to their current carrier. Whoops.
- Palm’s ridiculous launch date this past Saturday. Seriously, WWDC could lay the biggest egg and still, all the press got there Sunday night to party and haven’t written a single word about Palm Pre since, oh, Saturday afternoon.
So how can Apple really put Palm’s corpse in the ground?
- Steve Jobs comes to WWDC. Just a peek. No keynote. Just a, “hey there”. The faithful will be whipped into such a frenzy that they literally will wipe the Pre off the face of the earth with their crazed chanting and swaying.
- Apple undercuts the $199 w/rebate price with the iPhone, as rumored, at $99. Pow!
- AT&T offers some sweet rate plans that are designed to retain would-be-Pre customers.
Oh well, it’s been a good run! I like the hardware (minus the reported self-mutilation-sharp keyboard). Just don’t trust the company. Me, I’m waiting for the Monday late afternoon lawsuit.